Thursday, September 21, 2006

On Meghan's Desk


Pictures are pretty common desk items, but my relationship is a bit out of the ordinary. Cam and I randomly met online through an IM application (offered on my company's community site) in 1999- he was in Australia, I was in NYC. Over the next 6 years, we intermittently communicated via IM and email. We both had serious significant other's and it was simply a pen-pal type relationship, never thinking we'd actually meet in person.

But in early '05, the vibe of the conversations changed (we were both now single) and it led to me making the first scheduled phone call, after a few Rum & Diet Cokes for courage. The connection was there immediately and many months of 5+ hour conversations later, we decided to meet in Hawaii, halfway between us.

At this point, my workmates knew the whole story, and were excited to know the outcome. Was he sane, honest, good-looking, nuts, actually living in his parents' basement in Ohio, etc.? Long story short, things went perfectly, (and I sent my team a 'thumbs up' text from Hawaii the first day) and now over a year later and four more trips back and forth across the globe, we're engaged and applying for my Australian visa, with a wedding date set for July '07.

Over time, many people who were following the story, or heard it from someone else, passed by my desk with questions about Cameron and what he looked like. I originally printed these pics for easy accessibility. But now, during those stressful moments, I can look up and remember that, 1. I'm very lucky, and 2. life's crazy & unpredictable, live each day the best you can (and try not to get caught up in the small things) as you never know what's coming next.

http://www.ten1000miles.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home